It's springtime in the northwest and that means time for gardening. Last week I tried to wheel our rototiller out of the shed. It was in neutral but the wheels wouldn't budge. I started the engine and tried to put it in gear but the gear shifter wouldn't budge either. Finally, I dragged it into the garage and took it apart. I knew it was a bad sign when, as soon as I broke the seal on the gear box, reddish brown water dribbled out onto the floor.

It's not quite as bad as it looks. After I started wiping the rusty residue away from the various gears I found that most of them were in good shape. The sliding gear that actually transfers power was the worst.

I scraped and filed and sanded and chiseled at it until the outer gear would slide freely. Then I cleaned out the old grease and packed all of the gears back in with new grease. It was then that I wished that I had been a little more methodical about organizing the various nuts, bolts and pieces when I was disassembling it.

In spite of it all, I got it back together without serious mishap and, more importantly, without any leftover mystery parts. And amazingly enough, it actually works! I got the garden tilled and we'll be planting in no time. Anybody want some zucchini?
7 comments:
Glad you are such a handy guy! That looked like a pretty nasty task. I'd like to start a garden- if it would quit snowing! So much for being spring in the Pacific Northwest. We'll be moving over to the Seattle area in a month- where there will be a little less snow.
I want to help!!!
wow, it looked much worse than it was, then. good thing it works again. and yep, I'm all for some zucchini! ;)
Sure - bring on the veggies! So jealous you are already planting!!
A lady on Sunday actually said "I will take all the zucchini anybody has to give away"! She makes zucchini relish she said. Anyway I've never heard anybody say that before! Happy gardening!
Wow Evan! I am really impressed with your know-how and fix-it ability. It cleaned up very nice and you got it all done. Good Job!
Stacey
I am so glad that you guys are so handy. I am not sure what we would do without your rototiller!
Post a Comment