Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Total Eclipse (of the Heart?)

Actually, it was the moon. In a rare occurrence, the skies over Vancouver failed to hide an astronomical event and tonight's total lunar eclipse was clearly visible from our deck. So I pulled out the tripod and tried my hand at some night photos. I started a little late but I caught the last stages of totality and the slow reemergence of the full moon. I wish I could do it over again as I learned some things about exposure times that might have gotten me better photos. Anyway, here are some of the pictures I took:

This is my best picture of totality.

Here's a wider shot with an airplane flying below the moon.
And finally, the progression from totality to normal moon.
The progression pictures were taken at, from left to right, 7:55, 8:25, 8:37, 8:47, 9:09, 9:29. (all times PM PST)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow--Those are cool pictures! You're photog skills get an A+!

kseal said...

Nice pics. Did you know that the bright star to the bottom left of the moon is really Saturn? We pulled out the telescope. Since the moon was full, there was not enough shadow to see craters, so we turned our attention to Saturn instead and could see its rings. Pretty cool.

Silly Teacher said...

Nice pics of the totality!