Thursday, January 22, 2009

I'll take my skies gray, just not my hair...

I have been faithful to the hair hi-lighting for a number of years now. Not because I think it looks great, but because it looks better than the gray that normally streaks through (since starting on my mission, and worsening with every year.) A few weeks ago, I mentioned to my hair dresser that it may be getting beyond what hi-lights can help, and time for the full-on dye job. She ran her fingers through it, and said, "oh- it's not that bad, maybe 35%." Haha...WHAT??  But I'm only 36!  So, dyed it is.  Even though gray hair is a "crown of achievement" as my good friend Mona puts it, I haven't achieved near enough for the amount I have, and would rather fool myself into thinking I'm still really young for just a few more years.  After all, have you seen how young my kids are?  Most Mormon women with kids these ages are just a few years out of high school! And here we have my handsome husband, with the same pure color he's had all his life.  I think it's the same color as Brynie's - he just has more. (But that gap may be narrowing...) I don't believe all that bunk about stress causing it, either.  I'm plenty relaxed, darn it!  And I have plenty of siblings to help prove my theory of being a matter of genetics.  So there.

10 comments:

Mona said...

I'll just ask the question that blew wide open a Relief Society lesson I once sat in on -- (like the closest I've ever seen to mob rule in a church meeting) :

"Is this a form of dishonesty?"

It may be something you have to grow into (or out of). It took me until about 45 to toss the bottle.

Love,
Mona

Carrie said...

Love the hair- so cute!

You know, I've always thought that I will embrace the gray when it comes. But as I get closer, and now see a few strays popping up here and there, I wonder if I will really be able to do it. Not in my 30's- thats for sure!

The Eight Family said...

Lately I have noticed a few strands that seem to come back over and over no matter how many times I pluck them out. AND - they are front and center on my forehead. I have finally given in to them! And, if stress were the cause, I would be a shoe in for Mrs. Claus by now. I don't even pretend to not have stress (even in RS)! You have always been beautiful Sue - gray or not!!!
Love ya!
The pix of Evan and Bryn is so cute!!

Jessica @ Paint In My Hair said...

Cute pics! I like the hair. YOu should put one of those polls on your site. Who 1-dyes their hair 2- who plucks out the gray 3-who goes au natural. ;) I for one am still a plucker. Take care!

Dolly said...

I'm in real need of touching up the gray skies this weekend-myself!

Paige's Pages said...

I have to tell you, I absolutly love your blog! Your children are adorable and you make me laugh. :) I am a cousin of Grants wife Bri by the way. :)

Keep up the good work!
Paige

Shar said...

So which is it? Bryn is getting more hair - or Evan is getting less? Your dad's most common comment around here is "What bald spot?"

Anonymous said...

Since I can't remember my Blog info yet I'll just comment and say your hair is Great Dark!! I'm all for foolin' the color when the grays come a-knockin! I have to agree with Jessica though, I'm a plucker, but I'll have to make a choice pretty soon because I would like to have more hair than my 'handsomely' smooth-headed husband!!

wholarmor said...

I love your hair! It's very cute! I have noticed more and more grays in my hair. I'm a couple years younger than you. I'm content to let it go, though.

Every once in a while I will get a wild streak and dye my hair, but just for a change- not necessarily to cover the gray.

The Hardy's said...

I'm with you all the way, Sue. In fact on my mission, we were taking a group district picture one day and the Elder standing in back of me said, "Wow, Sister Usher, you really have some gray hair." (smack) I thought, 'this Elder has no class at all and really needs to learn a lesson in being less observant about others' hair or just learn to keep his mouth closed. :) Mine is also getting to the point where I'm having to highlight it a lot more often.