Recently, after I asked the boys to get their pajamas on, Cole chose his Lego Star Wars pajamas and remarked, "Star Wars jammies remind me of Star Wars."
That got me thinking. Those boys have never watched the real Star Wars. I decided to remedy that immediately and so we started watching Episode IV: A New Hope that very night. Cole sat there with rapt attention, not saying a thing. Grant kept up a constant barrage of comments, complaints, and irrelevant banter. Bryn fell asleep.
Bryn: I like Dark[sic] Vader
Dad: No! He's not nice.
Bryn: Yeah, he's a bad guy who hits other people
When Greedo pulls a gun on Han Solo, Grant: It's not nice to point a gun at someone else.
Trying to explain Darth Vader's breathing sound, Grant: They have to take his lungs out because he's not nice.
Grant: Why do those guys never change clothes?
What was your favorite part of the movie?
Grant: When they were getting squished.
Cole: My favorite part was when they got away. When they exploded the Depth Star. [sic]
Grant: Someone shooted an arrow and it hit it.
Cole: They got in little space ships.
Grant: They had to hit it just right, though.
Since then we've watched all of the movies except Episode III.
Grant: I don't want to watch where Darth Vader gets mad.
Cole: Dad I don't want to be a Jedi because I want to live with Heavenly Father faster. I'm just going to be a builder.
Grant: I don't like movies when they try to kill other people.
Watching Jar Jar Binks, Grant: What's wrong with him?
Noticing Amidala's frequent wardrobe changes, Grant: Why does she change clothes a lot?
After Qui-Gon-Jin is killed, Cole: Darth Maul doesn't know that he's going to go back to heaven.
Seeing Han and Leia and later Amidala and Anakin kiss, Grant: What are they doing?
All three of them call the Emperor, "The Emperator"
Welcome the wonderful world of a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

5 comments:
It is delightful to enjoy the varied perspectives on so many subjects which come from one's children, even when they are in their 30's and 40's. :))))
Thank you for taking good notes on these gems of enlightenment. We love the fresh view.
We, too, have some hard-core fans, even though the names and plotlines are largely misunderstood. To wit: Each FHE, Max (3) requests for us to sing the theme song of "Koo Kah" (his name for Darth Vader, because that's how his breathing sounded to him as a 2-year-old). He was initially terrified of him but is now fascinated and insists on playing his character during the daily light "saver" duel with Matthew.
All 4 speaking children refer to the Emperor as "the Empire". Each trip to the library requires a check out of a Star Wars book, and thankfully, there are finally some in the picture/easy reader sections.
Last week, while I was in Florida, Taylor was often singing
Ghost Busters. He's never seen the movie -- "too scary".
Thank you for sharing the marvelous comments of your little Padawans! We oldies over here got a great kick out of it! *still laughing*
When we were eight, my friend Cooper was convinced Darth Vader said his name as he breathed.
"Cooh-Perrrhhhhh" LOL
Post a Comment