My dream is becoming more of a reality every day! I am slowly convincing Evan that we need a small farm in our back yard. At about midnight, when he was good and worn out, I'd bring up how we needed chickens until he said, "zzzz....okay whatever, can I go to sleep now?"...which of course I took to mean that he was thrilled with the idea! I already knew the schedule of chicks arriving at the feed store, just in case, so a couple days later I loaded the kids up, and we went to adopt our new babies.
So soft and snuggly! We got 4 chicks, 3 different types, just for variety.
I told Grant he could help gather the eggs so we could eat them. "No," he said, "we want them to hatch!" I told him, "that won't happen because we only have hens and we would have to have a rooster in order to have more baby chicks." To which he replied in frustration, "that just doesn't make any sense!" Later that night, Evan explained the concept of chromosomes, which I'm sure made everything as clear as mud.
This is 10 days later - they change so fast!
So for now, they've made a nice addition to our dining room, since they must be kept at 95° then slowly cooling off some until 6 weeks old and they move outside.
As my husband says, "we have a circus inside the house, why not a farm outside?" Good point.




2 comments:
I love the baby chicks. What fun around Easter. We have to come over and see them sometime soon.
You left out the bunny basement...
Post a Comment