Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Great Pumpkin

About six months ago, while eating buffalo wings with some friends, one of them challenged the rest of us to a pumpkin growing contest. Not one to take spicy food induced contests lightly we planted our seeds. We went for quality, rather than quantity and produced only four pumpkins. This is the smallest at 8 pounds.
This tall specimen tipped the scales at 52 pounds for a solid second place.

And by far the largest, at 94 pounds, the champion gourd.

Naturally we posed for photos with the winners. Here you can see the third place pumpkin which weighed 25 pounds.

Bryn sat for an especially beautiful pose with a cucumber.

Then she ran into the corn to hide.

Now, who's going to carry this beast out to the porch?

I can hardly wait to start carving...

4 comments:

Ramona Zabriskie said...

Quick! Roll it out of there before the Were Rabbit comes along! and your beautiful baby is bunny fodder! (the pumpkin I mean)... The potential culprits are pinned up I presume? (the bunnies I mean)...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312004/

Anonymous said...

Oooooh! I can imagine the cruncher fest you'll have when you carve those puppies. Wish we were there to join in all the mushy gushy fun!

Grandma in NEAZ said...

WOW! That's something! That will make a LOT of pumpkin pie. We will be up there in time to make pies - woo hoo!

We're all assuming you won the contest.

Anonymous said...

They are cute