Well, if you did happen to be turned into a newt this would be the place you'd want to live (at least, until you
got better).

We are following the lead of
our friends and calling this place the "Newt Pond" because it's chock full of 'em this time of year. Specifically we're talking about the
rough-skinned newt characterized by bumpy skin and an orange belly.

Another characteristic of the skin is the high level of
tetrodotoxin. So it's okay to touch (we hope), just don't eat (unless you're a garter snake).

They are mostly terrestrial but they head back to the water for the spring mating season. And like we say in the northwest, "
If the pond is a rocking, it's time for some newting." (Okay, I've never actually heard anyone say that and I'm not even sure that "newting" is a real verb but you get the idea.)

Our tally this day, with the aid of our fearless newt hunting friends, was 17 newtish amphibians, 0 witches,

and only one fearless newt hunter "accidentally" falling in.

Easy as falling off a log, indeed.
4 comments:
Okay, so "tetrodotoxin" is my new word for today, it's neat how you made it so we could look it up! The look on the boy's faces is pure joy.
Oh my gosh, that's so cool! Looks like your boys are in heaven with all those creatures. :) Glad they enjoyed themselves. :)
I love it!! I've been saying "She turned me into a newt...I got better!" for a while and only received strange looks!! The joy I feel reading your post! We love having fellow newt-lovin' friends! I just can't help smiling thinking of it all. Thanks for letting us play!!
Wow - so fun!! My boys would LOVE that!
Post a Comment