Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mmmm. Squashy. Just how I like it.

Our first zucchini harvest! Two days ago, they were only a few inches - and now just look at 'em! How do zucchini do it?! There was one for each Cruncher, and as I pulled them off the vine, I announced, "this one's ready!" (I make a point of distinguishing 'ready' to pick, or not, because we've had lots of confusion with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, and peas so far.) Well, I guess in Cole's mind, 'ready' means 'ready to eat...immediately.'
After that first bite, he just kept going, like it was corn on the cob. Huh. I never could have had such luck if I'd served it up for dinner.
But then, there's just something magical about grazing through fresh garden produce. (Stay tuned for next week, when I trick them into liking tomatoes.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And seriously, fresh garden produce tastes so much more flavorful than store-bought produce. Your boys are bound to like the tomatoes.

You could try calling them something little-boy clever like "squishy-toes" to see if they'd eat them better. I was going to suggest calling the tomato something like "slug balloon" but they might get the wrong idea and sample a slug. But they might do that anyway, so maybe "slug basketball" or "slug-a-toes" are good suggestions!

Anonymous said...

Man, my uber-clever name got cut off. It says "I don't eat slugs or even touch them in NW WA"

Anonymous said...

...them for that matter in...

oops

Kay said...

It must just be something illusive about veggies from the garden. We started late in the season with our planting, so we only ended up with about 7 cherry tomatoes, Boo actually ate them when normally she doesn't like tomatoes. But that is an impressive squash!

Dalynn said...

That thing is as big as he is! Whatchya makin'? Did I ever give you Marissa's zucchini casserole recipe? It's delicious!